Important stuff to remember

Most of all, we want you to enjoy fundraising for Parents for Children. There are a few simple things that we ask you to remember, however you choose to raise money for us.

Our registered charity number

If you produce any pieces of publicity or advertising for your fundraising event, it's a legal requirement for our registered charity number to be on each piece of material. Our registered charity number is 280259.

We'll be happy to talk to you about the wording you should use if you're producing any publicity material. We can also help you by supplying our Parents for Children logo for you to use. Please contact [email protected], or call 020 7520 2880 to talk to our fundraising team.

Donations to Parents for Children

If you're publicising a fundraising event or activity, you must clearly communicate the exact amount that will be donated to Parents for Children. For example, this could be 'All profits go to Parents for Children' or 'For every ticket sold, £2 is donated to Parents for Children.'

Health and safety

Do check in advance that your event doesn't contravene health and safety regulations and, if necessary, please make sure that you have adequate insurance cover.


Any events which are based around singing and dancing, and events which include the sale of alcohol, will require a Public Entertainment licence. It's probable that the building in which you're planning to stage your event will already have the necessary licences in place, but it's well worth checking plenty of time in advance because it can take up to three months to get a licence from your local authority.

Collecting money in a public place

There are a few regulations about collecting money in a public place.

A public place is: a train or bus station, airport, pavement, football ground, park, shopping precinct etc.

A public place isn't: a private house, school, office, pub, restaurant, cafe, hospital, shop, or anywhere you have had to buy a ticket to enter the building

If you're considering organising a street or house-to-house collection for Parents for Children, you'll need a collection permit in advance and will also need to apply in writing to your local council. All collectors must be over the age of 16 – younger people can take part in fundraising activities, they just can't collect the money.

You should only collect money in sealed collecting tins or buckets with the Parents for Children logo on them.If you are planning a collection in a public place, we ask you to call and let us know beforehand.

If you're collecting money for Parents for Children in a private place, we'd ask to to make sure you have the permission of the owner (or landowner) first.

Lotteries, raffles and tombolas

These are all governed by the Lotteries and Amusements Act 1976 and part 111 of the National Lottery etc Bill 1993. There are legal restrictions on the size of prizes that can be offered, the amount of expenses that can be charged, what defines a lottery/raffle, and the way the activity is organised. As a result, some (not many) lotteries and raffles need to be registered with the Gaming Board. The following guidelines will help you to decide whether this applies to you:

  • Is your lottery/raffle going to be held at an exempt entertainment (e.g. a fete, bazaar, sale of artwork, office party)?
  • Will tickets only be sold during the event (i.e. not in advance) and on the premises where the event is held?
  • Will the results be announced during the event?
  • Have you spent less than £250 on prizes? (There's no limit on the value of donated prizes)
  • Can you confirm that no cash prizes will be given?

If you answered yes to all of the these questions, you don't need to register your lottery/raffle. If you answered no to any question/s, you can contact the Gaming Board on 020 7306 6207 for further advice.

If you have any questions about fundraising for Parents for Children, or need a copy of our logo or collection tins, please contact [email protected], or call 020 7520 2880 to talk to our fundraising team.